Source upgrade from 5.5 to 6.X not safe?

LI Xin delphij at delphij.net
Fri Nov 2 03:15:28 PDT 2007

Clint Olsen wrote:
> I just attempted a source upgrade from 5.5-STABLE to 6.3-PRERELEASE, and it
> was a disaster, more than likely because I forgot to do something.
> Normally I'm saved by the fact that the operations are not so scary as to
> cause problems.
[... restore old kernel worked; new kernel does not work after fsck ...]

So we get:

 - 5.5-STABLE works well on your box
 - 6.2-RELEASE stock GENERIC works fine
 - 6.3-PRERELEASE failed for some reason.

So far as I am aware I have no clue why this could happen.  Could you
check if you have any special configuration in your /etc/make.conf,
especially special CFLAGS?  I usually simply remove my /usr/src /usr/obj
and build a new world without make.conf to make sure.

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij at delphij.net>	http://www.delphij.net/
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!