Packet Loss w/bge & BCM5703 on Dell PE2650

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Thu May 31 19:06:16 UTC 2007

Vinny Abello wrote:
> Sten Daniel Soersdal wrote:
>> Vinny Abello wrote:

>>> It appears I do not have the DEVICE_POLLING option set when I compiled
>>> my kernel on my one machine and on the second I am just using the
>>> GENERIC kernel. I'll recompile with this option set and try again and
>>> post my results to the list.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>> Try disabling hardware assisted checksumming. ( ifconfig bge0 -txcsum
>> -rxcsum ).
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, but...
>
> That's actually one of the first things I tried before writing to the
> list. No difference.
>
> I'm going to put an Intel Pro/100 card in shortly to see if the problem
> goes away to be certain the issue is definitely with the integrated
> Broadcom NICs.

I've installed an Intel Pro/100 adapter in the Dell PowerEdge 2650. This
is an Intel 82550 chipset. The packet loss problem is completely gone
when using this NIC in the server, so it is definitely related to the
bge driver and this chipset BCM5703 or something else in the server. I'm
going to try and isolate which major release this problem appeared.
Maybe this will help isolate the change that is causing this issue for me.

--

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)940-6100
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear"
-- Mark Twain