Unable to install FreeBSD from external USB cdrom

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Thu May 31 08:06:17 UTC 2007

On Thursday 31 May 2007 09:39, Adriaan wrote:
> "Because other OS's run the BIOS in real mode, and we run it in vm86
> mode and we don't emulate enough instructions in vm86 mode for the
> Compaq/HP BIOS."
>
> In another post
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2006-September/0287
>73.html he refers to a patch at
> http://people.freebsd.org/~jhb/patches/btx_crx.patch

Ah interesting, there was another patch earlier in this thread which is
what I was testing.

The patch does work, I hadn't installed the resulting code properly.

I am not sure both patches address the same problem though.

I added John to the CC list, hope he doesn't mind!

It would be nice if these patches were committed before 7.0 too :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum