bug in BSD tar?

Colin Percival cperciva at freebsd.org
Tue May 29 03:19:23 UTC 2007

Steven Hartland wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Colin Percival" <cperciva at freebsd.org>
>>> tar -xvzf test.tar.gz
>>> tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `SCHILY.dev'
>>> tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `SCHILY.ino'
>>> tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `SCHILY.nlink'
>>> cantiquedeno\353l1_loop.wav
>>> tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
>>
>> This looks like fairly typical symptoms of gnutar being broken.  What
>> makes you think that the archive created by BSD tar was invalid?
>
> As a filename should have no bearing on what extended headers
> are set.

Why not?  In this case, bsdtar is detecting that the file name contains
non-7-bit-ascii characters and is emitting a pax header for that reason;
and since it can't suppress the pax header entirely, it goes ahead and
emits the "not vital but potentially useful" headers for the device #,
inode #, number of links, and high precision timestamps.

I still see no evidence that bsdtar is doing anything wrong.

Colin Percival