updating xorg-libraries 7.2 to 7.2.1

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Sun May 27 22:10:11 UTC 2007

On 27/05/07, Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen at math.missouri.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 May 2007, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> > Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:

> >> My experience is that simply having the symlink /usr/X11R6->/usr/local
> >> is totally sufficient.
> >>
> >> However it seems to me that what the port building procedure should now
> >> do is the following:
> >>
> >> * if /usr/X11R6 exists as a directory, it should issue an error message
> >> like it does now.
> >>
> >> * if /usr/X11R6 doesn't yet exist, silently create the symlink.
> >>
> >> This will mirror how it used to behave, in that if /usr/local or
> >> /usr/X11R6 did not exist, they would be created as needed.
> >
> > Oh, agreed to that.  However, there are still more changes needed
> > beyond that:
> >
> > Stopping the system running periodic jobs from /usr/X11R6/etc/periodic
> >
> > Stopping the system running startup scripts from /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d
> >
> > Stopping the system searching for manpages from /usr/X11R6/man
> >
> > The last is fairly trivial, but realise that the first two mean that
> > with the /usr/X11R6 -> /usr/local link in place all
> > /usr/local/etc/periodic jobs would get run twice, and even more
> > importantly all /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ startup scripts would also run
> > twice.
> >
> > Until there are new system releases incorporating the necessary changes
> > in /etc/defaults/rc.conf and /etc/defaults/periodic.conf it will be
> > necessary to override some of the default settings.  In /etc/rc.conf:
> >
> >   local_startup="/usr/local/etc/rc.d"

I had never previously noticed that (/usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d)
in /etc/defaults/rc.conf.  I understand why it is in there but
I find it overly solicitous towards that beast.

> > In /etc/periodic.conf:
> >
> >   local_periodic="/usr/local/etc/periodic"
> >
> > and for completeness sake, comment out the 'X11R6' lines in
> > /etc/manpath.conf
>
> I think that the easiest way (i.e. least disruption) is to add to each of
> the X11R6 scripts a test at their beginning to see if X11R6 is a symlink
> to /usr/local, and have the scripts do nothing if this is the case.  This
> way people who haven't yet switched to xorg-7.2 will not be disadvantaged
> in any way.  (I don't think simply testing to see if X11R6 is a symlink by
> itself will be sufficient because I bet that some people already have
> symlinks like X11R6->X11 or such like.)

Philosophically, I would have voted for /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d
never appearing in /etc/defaults/rc.conf in the first place.
Setting the string explicitly in /etc/rc.conf seems just fine
by me.  Of course, X having its own etc tree (oh, you special
little thing, you) was likely a silly idea all along.  Of course,
given its absurd compexity and size one could easily adopt
the opposite argument.