Some local rc scripts running twice

Duane Whitty duane at dwlabs.ca
Sun May 27 19:34:03 UTC 2007

Hi Pascal,

Much thanks!

On Sunday, 27 May 2007 at 14:11:13 +0200, Pascal Hofstee wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-05-27 at 03:48 -0300, Duane Whitty wrote:
> > Has anyone else encountered local rc scripts running
> > twice?  I thought I saw something about this on one
> > of the @freebsd.org lists but my search efforts haven't
> > located it yet.
>
> In assuming "local rc scripts" means anything installed by ports ... i
> am assuming you installed a fresh Xorg-7.2 and now at some point ended
> up with the /usr/X11R6 -> /usr/local symlink.
>
> If the above assumption holds true ... did you run the mergebase.sh
> script as suggested in /usr/ports/UPDATING ?

The above assumptions are correct and mergebase.sh did run.

> Most significantly .. this script adds the following entry to
> your /etc/rc.conf
>
> local_startup="/usr/local/etc/rc.d"

This was the problem.  Adding this to my /etc/rc.conf manually
fixed everything up for me.  Thanks!

> The default entry in /etc/defaults/rc.conf still
> references /usr/X1R6/etc/rc.d as well ... since the latter is now a
> symlink to the former, both rc.d-paths contain the same scripts.
>
> If your rc.conf doesn't contain the aforementioned entry, that would
> explain why local rc-scripts are started twice.

Yeah, that does it explain it.  The mergebase.sh script failed
unfortunately and I needed to take manual steps to complete
the upgrade process.

When the script failed due to conflicting files I deleted the
files that were listed, re-ran the script, got the same conflicts,
and then created the symlink myself.  Unfortunately, the rc.conf
entry didn't get added as well.  I am left wondering if other
things that were supposed to happen did not happen.

When operator error complicates matters, as it has in this case,
no script can deal with all possible scenarios.  So, to all the
people who worked on making this upgrade happen, please don't
take this as a criticism of the script or upgrade process
in general.

Duane Whitty