network performance 6.1 stable vs 4.9

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Fri May 25 19:57:48 UTC 2007

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 03:17:40PM +0100, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 14:51 +0100, Steven Hartland wrote:
> > Why are you releasing a new product on an already unsupported version?
> > 6.2 is the version you really need to be moving to not 6.1.
>
> FreeBSD 6.1 is not unsupported - far from it.  When 6.1 was released, it
> was designated as an "Extended support" branch, and is currently
> scheduled to be supported (from a security point of view) after support
> for 6.2 is dropped.  http://www.freebsd.org/security/
>
> If you're building network applications, it makes perfect sense to go
> for 6.1, as that's part of the reason behind the "extended support"
> branches.

I think you're misunderstanding his point.  6.1 has security support
but this does not cover bug fixes or performance improvements.  Apart
from the most critical of bugs, old releases receive neither class of
fix.

By contrast, later releases on a branch have both, so if you are
seeing a perceived performance problem it is wise to evaluate whether
it is a problem that is already fixed.  This is often not something
that someone can give a quick yes/no answer to unless you are able to
precisely characterize the problem, so empirical testing may be the
only way to decide.

Kris