xorg 7.2 start problem

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri May 25 16:54:12 UTC 2007

JoaoBR wrote:
 > Roland Smith wrote:
 > > It didn't. All the drivers were in one huge package, the X server. Now
 > > they are in seperate ports. But the xorg or xorgs-drivers meta-ports
 > > should install all of them.
 >
 > ok, that is what I ment, the better way would be that portupgrade installs
 > them all as before (when they were in the package)

That's exactly what happens when you install the xorg meta
port (as explained in the UPDATING instructions).

 > > Tools like portupgrade and portmaster and even the ports system are
 > > great but they have their limitations. I think they are kept relatively
 > > simple for a reason. It's much better to have a simple (maintainable)
 > > tool that does 95% of the jobs well than to build an extremely
 > > complicated ACME contraption that can cover all the corner cases and
 > > oddball situations. It's just not worth the effort.
 >
 > I agree and totally understandable but when there is a big change involved
 > then it would be wise to advise more clearly what is happening from within
 > the upgrade process because almost nobody reads the files

I think that's wrong.  Almost everybody reads UPDATING.
Those who don't start threads on one of the mailing lists.

 > other ports do it for less and a message like local base has changed you need
 > to edit your xorg.conf or something would do good here

If someone refused to read UPDATING, then why would he
not ignore a message that scrolls through the screen at
some point?

As others have already stated, there are very detailed
instructions in /usr/port/UPDATING.  You should not
blindly update your ports without looking at that file.

Best regards
   Oliver

With Perl you can manipulate text, interact with programs, talk over
networks, drive Web pages, perform arbitrary precision arithmetic,
and write programs that look like Snoopy swearing.