atapicam cd error from freebsd-stable Digest, Vol 207, Issue 6

Joe Altman fj at panix.com
Thu May 24 15:31:34 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 05:16:47AM +0000, freebsd-stable-request at freebsd.org wrote:
>    3. atapicam cd error (JoaoBR)
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 12:44:20 -0300
> From: JoaoBR <joao at matik.com.br>
> Subject: atapicam cd error
> To: freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>

> Hi, some knows how to solve this problema or what it is?
>
> acd0: CDRW <HL-DT-ST GCE-8527B/1.02> at ata0-master UDMA33
> acd0: FAILURE - INQUIRY ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00
> acd0: FAILURE - INQUIRY ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00
> cd0 at ata0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> cd0: <HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8527B 1.02> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
> cd0: 33.000MB/s transfers
> cd0: cd present [1 x 2048 byte records]
> acd0: FAILURE - READ_TOC ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00
> acd0: FAILURE - READ_TOC ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00

You can use google, or the search feature at archive for -stable to
find previous discussion. It appears that it is a result of changes to
atapi-cam.c. I suggest searching for the error message in April's
-stable archive; and then my query on -questions in May.

I've been waiting for it to bite someone else, so that I could offer
this:

I wrote to the maintainer for atapi-cam.c, and here is his reply:

* Joe Altman, 2007-05-19 :

> My apologies for disturbing you; I imagine that you are quite busy,
> but I wonder if you are the thomas listed here:
>
> __FBSDID("$FreeBSD: src/sys/dev/ata/atapi-cam.c,v 1.42.2.5
> 2007/05/15
> 16:19:42 thomas Exp $");

I am, and I just wanted to acknowledge your message, unfortunately I
won't be able to further look into it immediately, as I'm about to
leave for vacation... I'm keeping it on my inbound list, feel free to
ping me if I don't get back to you within 2 weeks.

All the best,
Thomas.

I have no clue why someone would insert changes into source, find
(assuming he saw the discussion in April, on this list) those changes
problematic, change the source somewhat to remedy those problems, put
further changes into the source either causing new problems or
reintroducing the old one; and when told at least once that "Hey,
there is a problem here; what can you tell me?" replies "Sorry, I'm on
vacation."

Speaking for myself, I'd think that introducing things that might
break stuff on Friday is a basic "Don't Do That" sort of thing. I'm
sure that there is at least one SysAdmin here that knows what that's
about.

Oh, I forgot: it's free, so who am I to complain; especially about
breaking something as frivolous as atapicam.

And yet, people are concerned that an ascii art figure of a daemon
might project an unprofessional image of the project?

Removing atapicam as a kernel module remedied the entire issue for me.

There is, I believe predictably, a noticeable difference in the way
the Plextor performs. I say believe, because I know it is a subjective
impression on my part.