xorg 7.2 start problem

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Wed May 23 20:30:39 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 23 May 2007 16:26:25 Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 11:06:46AM +0300, Iulian M wrote:
> > <joke>
> > Yep... you have to rebuild everything. Not to fix the error but just
> > because you don't read other threads on the ML
> > </joke>
> >
> > On another thread the conclusion was that installing x11-fonts/font-alias
> > solved the fixed font problem.
>
> Speaking of not reading other threads, you might also look closer to
> home ;)
>
> Adding font-alias would just be treating the next symptom, and then
> you'll probably find that something else still doesn't work because it
> is also missing.
>
> As I've said a *number* of times already (and as is mentioned in the
> UPDATING instructions), install the x11/xorg port to obtain a complete
> installation.

I also haven't read anything and got terrible caught by this 7.2 xorg thing

I guess that the most shit comes from the path change and that portupgrade
deos not tell anything about the old default /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts change
to /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts. Kind of sed operation would have solved this
easily without bothering anyone
Seems it is necessary to delete manually the old font dirs because portupgrade
does not.

so then most people may find out that editing the font paths in xorg.conf will
solve the problem at the end and not to forget the new X path in kdmrc which
also is a good one when saying a msg  as "cannot execute" instead of "is not
there" ... :)

font-alias also does wierd things and creates font.alias even for fonts which
are not installed, let's say cyrillic for instance, not sure if this is
right, anyway, font-alias is not necessary I think

and kind of lame that portupgrade xorg does not install the modules, that is a
funny strike

uninstalling xorg and installing the meta port also does not solve the
issue ... but installs some zillions of font crap which I can not believe
that somebody still use them

but it was a funny day and useful to learn finally something about xorg which
before 7.2 was a really toooooo easy going install :)

--

João