minimizing downtime on upgrades? (for example: mysql 4.1 -> 5.0 or php)

Volker volker at vwsoft.com
Tue May 22 19:22:22 UTC 2007

On 05/22/07 21:03, Olivier Mueller wrote:
> Some "freebsd-beginner" questions about how to maintain a production
> server up to date day after day, with a practical example: now I have
> to update a 6.1-based server from mysql 4.1 to mysql 5.0, minimizing
> the downtime during the upgrade.
>
> In the past under other OS'es I would have taken the mysql source,
> compiled the whole, and then on upgrade time:
> - stopped the services (httpd, etc.)
> - mysqldump of all tables
> - stopped mysqld
> - removed the old version (+backup)
> - 'make install'ed the new one
> - started mysqld
> - imported the db and restarted the other services
> -> 2-3 minutes downtime, depending on the size of the databases
>

> Now I can't really do that under FreeBSD: if I want to prepare (just
> "make" in the ports directory) the mysql50-server part, it answers:

Oliver,

try something like:

portupgrade -o databases/mysql50-client mysql-client
portupgrade -o databases/mysql50-server mysql-server

Make sure you're doing a backup of your SQL data *before* you're
doing this as the MySQL server (AFAIR) is being halted at upgrade
time (short after compiling everything has finished).

The portupgrade commands mentioned above might just be half of the
work as other ports might need an upgrade, too. I did the same some
weeks ago but can't remember if there was any extra work needed.

HTH

Volker