ghosthunting: machine freeze 6.2R

Volker volker at vwsoft.com
Tue May 22 13:15:51 UTC 2007

Hi!

Starting yesterday I'm experiencing machine freezes on a 6.2-R
system (remote to me). The strange thing: It occurs twice a day, in
the morning hours (both freezes are within 1-2 hours) and for the
rest of the day everything runs fine.

The machine does not respond anymore (no net, no keyboard
interaction) but does not panic. The hardware is a Dell PE-750 and
is running for the last 4 years w/o any trouble. It's a gateway
system (border router, mail hub etc. etc.) and is also running IPSec
tunnels and a poptop server for road clients.

My first thought is a hardware problem but why does it occur that
less and only in the morning? My next thought is a DoS attack
(CVE-2007-0244?) but can that lead into a machine freeze?

Is anybody else seeing freezes these days?

FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p1 #0: Sun Feb 11 22:35:18 CET 2007 i386

Volker