installworld in 6.2

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Sat May 19 21:24:59 UTC 2007

I have found what I believe is a "bug" in installworld for FreeBSD
6.2.  I do not believe this was in 6.1 as I would have encountered
the same problem there.  I run a number of production servers.  I
maintain the source on one development machine where it is built and
tested.  To upgrade a production server I NIS mount /usr/src and /usr/
obj then run the commands per UPDATING.  The problem occurs now
because my development machine has /usr on a slice on the same disk
as /.  However, /usr/obj is a soft link to /usr2 which is a separate
drive.  There was not enough space on the primary drive for
everything and I really don't need to backup /usr/obj as it can
easily be rebuilt.

During make installworld when it gets to the /boot section I get an
error that it cannot make a library in /usr2/obj/src.....  Everything
quits at that point.  My production machines do not have a /usr2
filesystem.  In order to get installworld to work I had to add a soft
link on the production server of /usr2 pointing to /usr.  Then
installworld completed properly.  I don't believe that link should be
needed.