fast rate of major FreeBSD releases to STABLE

Chris chrcoluk at gmail.com
Sat May 19 21:01:27 UTC 2007

On 19/05/07, Marc G. Fournier <freebsd at hub.org> wrote:

Hi thanks for all the time spent on responses and it been civil.

I have checked and I think my comments about the times of STABLE major
releases is inaccurate and based on percieved memory rather then facts
I apologise for that, I do hope tho ports will continue to work on 6.x
a while after 7.x released.

regarding network bugs in 6.x, generally its stable, the nfs problems
were mainly fixed in 6.2 the issue comes under circumstances where the
network load is higher then the typical situation ie. a DDOS attack.
I would expect under a hevay attack for the server to go offline which
is fine, but I wouldnt expect the server to deadlock and need a reboot
as a result of a DDOS attack especially a small/medium attack, on 4.x
and even 5.x to a limited extenct the machine could cope with a fairly
high pps but on 6.x with same hardware it can handle much less, I have
no idea why but thats what happens.  I friend of mine runs FreeBSD
routers in a large network and had to downgrade back to 4.x because of
this.

With the ports freeze I wonder in situations when a full freeze is
needed it is better to do so on a seperate testing branch so it allows
security commits etc. to carry on as normal and then remerge again
after testing is complete.  Or is this simply not possible to do?

Sysinstaller I do agree it does the job but thats it, its not good
enough for people not familiar with freebsd I feel and is a major
reason for adoptivity to freebsd.

Good news on the dynamic tcp stuff :)

Thanks

Chris