NIC (Network Card) is not detected by FreeBSD 6.2 into PowerEdge Blade 1955 Server

Sachin Sharma sharma.s at net4.in
Thu May 17 13:55:10 UTC 2007

Hi,

FreeBSD 6.2 Kernel don't support Broadcom NIC BCM 5708S model. One need
to patch kernel Source to make it live.  Below i written steps i took.

1, Download patch
http://people.freebsd.org/~dwhite/patches/bce-serdes-20070111.tar.gz
2,  cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
3,  cp GENRIC   MYKERNEL
4,  mkdir /root/kernels
5,  cp GENRIC /root/kernels/MYKERNEL
6.  ln -s /root/kernels/MYKERNEL
7,  cd /usr/src
8,  make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
9   make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

Now Reboot !!

Sachin Sharma
Sr. Engineer Systems (Linux)
Net4India Ltd.

D-25
Sector 3
Noida-201301
INDIA

Tel:   0120-5323500
Fax:  0120-5323520
This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If
you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on
this message or any information herein. If you have received this
and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.