Known memory leak in 6-STABLE from April 1st?

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Mon May 14 17:07:26 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I observed something funny with our new cyrus/postfix/amavis
installations running on 6.2-STABLE checked out on April 1st (no, I'm
not joking).

They are running symon to grab performance data and I saw the memory
total becoming less and less. Now I know that adding up
free+active+inactive != total ram BUT *all* other FreeBSD machines we
are running show a more or less constant sum.

I uploaded two pictures showing the trend here (They are i386 machines
with 4GB RAM, FreeBSD reports 3.3GB as usable):

http://coyote.dnsalias.net/ms1-day.png
http://coyote.dnsalias.net/ms1-week.png

Now after doing some heavy IMAP testing (cyrus reconstruct of big
maildirs) the system froze to a complete halt. Stupid me already
rebooted the machine, tomorrow I'll try to break into DDB when it
happens again. I also started recording top(1) memory output and
sysctl vm.zone output.

The main questions is: Were there any known memory leaks at the start
of April? Any patches I should blindly try before spending several
days on debugging this?

Thanks!
Uli