mfs and buildworlds on da SunFire x4600

Mars G. Miro marsgmiro at gmail.com
Wed May 2 18:39:57 UTC 2007

Greetz,

    I got my hands on a SunFire x4600. This is a dual-core 8-way
Opteron (dmesg shows 16 CPUs) w/c has 32G RAM. FreeBSD 6.2/amd64 runs
fine on it despite:
 - 'reboot' doesnt work, machine just hangs in there.
 - front USB ports wont work for a USB keyboard, just use da ports at da back.

   I've read a lot of threads in da past (and da BSDCan 2006 paper)
regarding mfs on /usr/src and /usr/obj to speed up buildworlds,
unfortunately it doesnt seem to improve things. I've tried both a
malloc and swap based async non-softupdates mfs (and rebooted da box
every after) but my buildworld speeds seem to be just da same as I do
it on da MPT SAS disk w/c is just around ~18mins.

  Yeah, i know there's da tmpfs project but I was just wondering if I
may have missed somthing in my mfs adventures.

  Thanks ;-)

cheers
mars