install SCSI over ATAPI for DVD

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Wed May 2 17:49:07 UTC 2007

On 5/2/07, KAYVEN RIESE <kayve at sfsu.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 2 May 2007, Tuomo Latto wrote:
>
> > KAYVEN RIESE wrote:
> >> Then run config NEW_FILE
> >>
> >> Go into kernel build directory run
> >> make cleandepend ; make depend ; make && make install
> >>
> >> but i don't know what the "kernel build directory" is
> >>
> >> prolly simple for you guys.  i just did the command
> >> in the
> >>
> >> /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> >>
> >> directory and it didn't werk.
> >
> > Try these:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html
>

> i don't see any "config NEW_FILE" like statements on these pages.. i see
> the /usr/src/sys/i386/conf directory.. and i don't see that command he
> told me to do:
>
> make cleandepend ; make depend ; make && make install
>
> i see "make buildkernel" and "make installkernel" that makes me very
> nervous.

Don't be.

What the first person advised you on was the old way of compiling a
kernel, the new way is to use make buildkernel and make installkernel
from /usr/src.

Just follow the example in the hand book.

On 5/2/07, KAYVEN RIESE <kayve at sfsu.edu> wrote:
> okay.  i was there.  should "MYKERNEL" be "NEW_FILE?"

MYKERNEL, NEW_FILE are just the name of the kernel configuration file.

cp /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/KAYVEN
vi /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/KAYVEN

Change 'ident GENERIC' to 'ident KAYVEN'. This is to identify which
kernel your system is running.
Add/remove devices, options as needed.

cd /usr/src
make buildkernel KERNCONF=KAYVEN
make installkernel KERNCONF=KAYVEN

Scot
--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.