DVD Device Errors

Joe Kelsey joe at zircon.seattle.wa.us
Wed May 2 01:43:28 UTC 2007

FreeBSD zircon.zircon.seattle.wa.us 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #2:
Sun Apr 22 14:47:33 PDT 2007
root at zircon.zircon.seattle.wa.us:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ZIRCON  amd64

I have a Sony RW DVD hooked up to my system and it does not operate
properly.  Here is the dmesg:

acd0: DVDR <SONY DVD RW AW-Q170A/1.70> at ata0-master UDMA66

When I place a movie in the player and attempt to play it I get:

+acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG HARDWARE ERROR asc=0x08 ascq=0x03

This is using libdvdread in mplayer or ogle.

Am I missing something about setting up the player?  I have also enabled atapicam in order to use the dvdrwtools, but I get similar errors, except related to writing.  I have the device in group operator, to which I belong.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thank you very much for any help.

/Joe