mpd sometimes hangs the whole system?

Sten Daniel Soersdal netslists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 22:14:32 UTC 2007

Richard Tector wrote:
> Alex Povolotsky wrote:
>> Richard Tector wrote:
>>>>
>>> Which version of mpd are you using? Have you tried the latest version
>>> from ports, 4.1? I've read it fixes a *lot* of problems found with
>>> the older versions.
>>
>> 3.18_5; Is mpd 4 100% backwards compartible?
>
> Yes, 4.x should work just fine with your 3.x configuration files.
>
>> And, what's worse, I've heard of exactly the same problem on 4.0.
>> Kernel _freeze_ should be something kernel-related, I fear.
>
> Quite possible. It involves putting the interfaces in promiscuous mode
> so could be due to a bug in your network card driver. What interfaces
> are you using?

I'm not sure why mpd would want to put any interface in promiscuous
mode. Neither pppoe, pptp nor l2tp would require promiscuous mode as
they use either strictly unicast or ethernet broadcast.

Perhaps you could provide some information as the situation where
promiscuous mode is necessary?

--
Sten Daniel Soersdal