Desired behaviour of "ifconfig -alias"

Bruce M. Simpson bms at FreeBSD.org
Sun Feb 11 01:35:38 UTC 2007

Ian Smith wrote:
> Does not 'remove the network address specified' imply that this should
> fail if a) there is no network address specified or b) the address that
> is specified is not an existing alias address for the interface?

I tend towards disallowing -alias without argument for reasons of
consistency and for the reasons of preventing foot-shooting as you
describe. This is not the first time we've run into problems with
ifconfig(8) arguments.
> Secondly, pardon my ignorance, but what does 'NS' refer to here?  That
> string / term occurs nowhere else in ifconfig(8).

Old Xerox comms protocols.
> Perhaps I'm missing a valid (and used) usage of -alias with no address?

I touched ifconfig.8 last. I'm very happy to check in a patch from somebody.

Kind regards,
BMS