wireless + ndis on Compaq TC1000 revisited

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Sat Feb 3 07:05:05 UTC 2007

This is a bit of a followup to my post of over a year ago:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2005-November/020289.html

I've been playing with FreeBSD on the TC1000 Tablet PC again lately and
brought it up to 6-STABLE. Compaq still has the same (Windows) drivers for
the built-in wlan device as they did the last time, and it still doesn't
work with ndis (ndisgen succeeds but the module causes a panic when it is
loaded).

However today I was able to locate an alternate driver for the card on one
of the "secondhand" Windows driver websites. It's an NDIS 5.1 driver that
works with my hardware under Windows XP, but it doesn't seem terribly
modern (it comes with its own utility for setting the wireless settings).

Under FreeBSD, ndisgen produced a module without any problem, and this one
_doesn't_ case a panic when loaded. And it only sometimes causes a panic
when trying to configure the interface (possibly just a race condition at
boot).

I'm now able to configure the interface and see it associate on both ends.
When I attempt to get a DHCP lease, the DHCP server sees the request and
sends an offer but the tablet never receives it for some reason. So it
seems I can send (on Layer 2 at least) but not receive. Layer 3 doesn't
work in either direction, presumably because the tablet never gets any ARP