SMP on FreeBSD 6.x and 7.0: Worth doing?

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Wed Dec 26 05:25:06 PST 2007

On 26/12/2007, Scott Long <scottl at samsco.org> wrote:

> Yes, Squid is the ideal application for IFS.  Do you still have any of
> your work on this, and would you be able to share it?

It'd be easy to rewrite it from scratch if IFS were recovered. In
fact, the whole point behind IFS, way back when, is I could layer a
user-space directory hierarchy on top of a kernel provided space and
then do "stuff" (I had a POP3 Maildir-like server written using IFS
back then.)

The squid code wasn't difficult at all. The biggest problem back then
was rebuilding the disk index - didn't I have some code to export the
inode allocation bitmap via a special file in the filesystem so I
didn't have to stat() each individual inode, or didn't I end up
comitting that?

I'm happy to work on that later on next year. I've got enough non-disk
Squid code to rewrite and optimise over the next few months; the
storage side is going to have to wait a while.

Adrian

Adrian Chadd - adrian at freebsd.org