SMP on FreeBSD 6.x and 7.0: Worth doing?

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 02:55:53 PST 2007

On Fri, 21.12.2007 at 22:31:24 -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
> As has been reported in some other messages on this list, Linux is currently
> blowing FreeBSD away. It's taking as much as 20% less time to get through
> the benchmark, depending on exactly how the random shuffle came out. This is
> with 4 GB RAM, the GENERIC FreeBSD SMP kernel (using SCHED_ULE), and aufs as
> the storage schema for Squid.

Apples and Oranges, I know, but if you're building a "simple" reverse
cacheing proxy, have you considered Varnish? Would be very interessting
how it would compare to a) FreeBSD+Squid b) Linux+Squid and c)
Linux+Varnish.

Cheers,
Ulrich Spoerlein
--
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool,
than to speak, and remove all doubt.