7.0BETA4 /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc_int Thrashes

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Dec 20 09:26:51 PST 2007

Julian Stacey wrote:
 > Has 7.0-BETA4 perhaps wrongly got a -pipe in the .mk macros ?

It was added 9 years 7 months ago my JKH (see the CVS
repository, src/share/mk/sys.mk rev 1.31).  He wrote:

"Add -pipe to default CFLAGS.  The optimization it provides
is cheap and does not require any special action on the part
of the user to take advantage of it."

It might not be that "cheap" anymore with gcc 4.2 being
the default compiler now, known to be somewhat more RAM-
hungry than its predecessors.

However, I still think that -pipe should be kept on by
default, because it will help on the vast majority of
machines.  Old machines with very little RAM need some
special-tuning anyway, so it's reasonable to give them
special CFLAGS that don't contain -pipe.

(Apart from that I would recommend to use a faster and
sufficiently RAM-equipped machine for building and then
perform only the install on the smaller machine, or
install directly on its harddisk by plugging it into
the faster machine temporarily.  That's how I used to
update an old 486SX notebook that had only 4 MB RAM and
no network except SLIP/PLIP.)

YMMV, of course.  Please take the above only as my
personal opinion on the matter.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Clear perl code is better than unclear awk code; but NOTHING
comes close to unclear perl code"  (taken from comp.lang.awk FAQ)