Right way to use geli + gjournal ?

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Sun Dec 16 03:39:06 PST 2007

Hi everyone,

In my laptop, I am running 7.0 Beta-4 (today's kernel + world). my /usr (ad0s1f ) is using gjournal, with its journal on ad0s1h .

I have it mounted with what I believe are the recommended settings:

$ mount
[...]
/dev/ad0s1f.journal on /usr (ufs, asynchronous, local, noatime, gjournal)
[...]

I also have some file-backed geli disks which reside in /usr/home/betom. They are still using soft-updates (from before I had gjournal on /usr):

/dev/md11.eli on /usr/home/betom/_11 (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
/dev/md13.eli on /usr/home/betom/_13 (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
/dev/md12.eli on /usr/home/betom/_12 (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)

Does it make sense to set these GELI disks to async / no-soft-updates as well?

thanks!
Beto