FreeBSD 7 on old SMP server?

MaXX maxx at mobistarmail.be
Thu Dec 13 13:38:31 PST 2007

Hi list,

I have an old netfinity 7000 (Quad PIII 500, 1Gb RAM) running 6.2 at the moment. I was wondering if it will take benefit of all the SMP improvement of 7 or is it too old? It runs a few postgresql databases, peak loads in the 2 to 4 range.

As I do not have another equivalent machine, I prefer to ask before trying myself.

I quite happy with the performances of my laptop (centrino duo) under 7, and hope my old server will be as happy as my laptop.

thanks in advance,
--
MaXX