Server motherboard recommendation wanted

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 11:01:32 PST 2007

On December 12, 2007 06:42 pm geek wrote:
> I am going to build two identical file servers using FreeBSD.  They
> will be in a mixed linux and windoze network.
>
> I intend to use SCSI drives.  I am not looking for the latest and
> greatest.  I am not looking for each and every possible bell and
> whistle.
>
> I DO want maximum stability, reliability and compatibility with FreeBSD
> and Samba.
>
> I am seeking suggestions or recommendations.
>
> Thank you to all in advance.

We have great success using the Tyan Thunder K8SD-Pro (S2882-D)
motherboard.  It is a dual socket 940 motherboard that supports AMD
Opteron 200-series CPU (including dual-core), 16 GB ECC DDR400 RAM, with
2 64-bit/133 MHz PCI-X slots, 2 64-bit/100 MHz PCI-X slots, and 1
32-bit/33 MHz PCI slot.  Comes with onboard SATA and (optional) SCSI
controllers.

Uses the AMD-8000 series core chipsets.

Everything is fully supported by FreeBSD 6.1+ (and Debian Linux 4.0).

We use these in file server (Samba and NFS), print server (Samba, CUPS,
and lpr), routers/firewalls (IPFW/natd), X terminal servers (thin-client
and diskless), VMWare servers, Xen servers, and more.  Very stable
systems.

--
Freddie Cash, LPIC-2 CCNT CCLP      Network Support Technician
School District 73                  (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]
fjwcash at gmail.com