2 x quad-core system is slower that 2 x dual core on FreeBSD

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Sat Dec 1 14:34:11 PST 2007

On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 12:37:32AM +0300, Alexey Vlasov wrote:
> I decided to install FreeBSD 6.2 i386 on one of the servers, and the
> result was totally non productive.

The 6.x series was intended to get us back to the stability that we had
had pre-SMP integration.  I believe we mostly succeeded.

One of the major thrusts for 7.0 development was to fix the performance
regressions that had been introduced.  From the results that I have seen
(I am not one of the participants), there has been major progress over
the past 2 years in removing yet one bottleneck after another.  Recent
tests show us to be on a par with Linux on a number of benchmarks; of
course, we need more people testing 7.0 in real-world environments to
confirm this.

You may want to try the 7.0 release candidate on a testbed to see if
your results have improved as much as we think that they will have.

mcl