powerd freeze with amd 5000 X2 but not with lower cpus

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Wed Aug 22 20:18:25 PDT 2007

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007, JoaoBR wrote:

 > On Monday 06 August 2007 09:28:35 JoaoBR wrote:
 > >
 > > I had a chance to test several MBs with the same 6000+, 5000+ and 4600+ cpu
 > >
 > > At the end seems that the problem is mb/hardware related since some
 > > combinations hung even with latest BIOS installed and others not.
 > >

 > not sure if somebody still wants to hear about this but it is kind of
 > interesting I guess

[.. leaving out your video / xorg / DPMS stuff without comment ..]

 > one thing more I did which caused a sysctl error on boot. There is a funny
 > line in /etc/rc.s/power_profile as 'highest_value="C1"' which I commented out
 > but I guess that has nothing to do since the setting was not accepted

Call me curious, but (assuming that you're tuning for performance, not
economy, and so will always run these boxes on AC power, not battery):

  a) why you think that line in /etc/rc.d/power_profile is 'funny'?

  b) what value for performance_cx_lowest you would consider more
     appropriate to use than C1, and why?

  c) whether you have overridden the /etc/defaults/rc.conf values for
     {performance,economy}_cx_lowest or {performance,economy}_cpu_freq ?

Cheers, Ian