A little story of failed raid5 (3ware 8000 series)

Rob MacGregor freebsd.macgregor at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Aug 20 23:57:59 PDT 2007

Artem Kuchin unleashed the infinite monkeys on 20/08/2007 23:38 producing:
<---SNIP--->
> But i don't understand how and why it happened. ONly 6 hours ago (a
> night before)
> all those files were backed up fine w/o any read error. And now, right
> after replacing
> the driver and starting rebuild it said that there are bad sectors all
> over those file.

I've had that happen on a RAID1 setup before.  Because all the bad
sectors were in different positions the array worked fine until one of
the disks failed.

As I'm fond of saying at work, RAID is no substitute for regular,
tested, backups.

Regarding your problem - you can download the (very detailed) manuals
for the 3Ware cards and their software from the 3Ware website.  A quick
scan suggests you need the "mediascan" command (P48).  Newer controllers
(9000 series) support scheduling of their equivalent.

--
 Rob | Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!