6.2? (fwd)

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Sep 13 03:38:59 PDT 2006

Andras Gót wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > kama wrote:
 > > > Why isnt there any notice about it on the webpage
 > > > or on this mailing list?
 > >
 > > It's on the webpage (under "Release Engineering"):
 > >
 > > http://www.freebsd.org/releng/
 > >
 > > I don't think there's need to announce it on this mailing
 > > list.  The fact that RELENG_6 entered code-freeze is
 > > important for comitters and (some) developers, but not for
 > > normal users of the -stable branch.
 >
 > Sure but it's only a schedule.

That's true, and the schedule will most probably change.
Currently the release is listed for Oct. 9th, but I bet
that it'll be delayed.

 > The main purpose of the public release process would be that WE
 > the users can see/check what are the problems that needs testing
 > or anything.

Yes, which will be announced when BETA state begins, I
assume.  PRERELEASE isn't BETA (yet).

 > And an other main purpose is to do planning of the upgrade

Uhm, would you please explain?  What kind of upgrade
depends on entering the pre-release state?

When you're tracking -stable, then now is neither better
nor worse a time for updating, except for the fact that
-- due to the code freeze -- the code might have a tendency
to stabilize better than before, because MFCs and commits
that aren't bug fixes are held off.

Best regards
   Oliver

"To this day, many C programmers believe that 'strong typing'
just means pounding extra hard on the keyboard."
        -- Peter van der Linden