panic: integer divide fault on 6.1

Joao Barros joao.barros at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 10:00:21 PDT 2006

On 9/9/06, Joao Barros <joao.barros at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed 6.1 on my new (with old parts) machine and when
> booting for the first time after installation I got this panic:
>
> ad0: 19130MB <SAMSUNG SV2001H QN200-03> at ata0-master UDMA100
>

> Fatal trap 18: integer divide fault while in kernel mode
> cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
> instruction pointer     = 0x20:0xc0853017
> stack pointer           = 0x28:0xc0c20b28
> frame pointer           = 0x28:0xc0c20bb0
> code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                         = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process         = 0 (swapper)
> trap number             = 18
> panic: integer divide fault
> cpuid = 0
> Uptime: 1s
> Cannot dump. No dump device defined
>
> The system is a single Xeon with HTT enabled and the HDD used is
> somewhat old. I can try  installing on another one. The swapper
> process somehow points me to the HDD.
> Of course any clues are most welcome.

I tried disabling the SATA controller, just leaving the PATA part
enabled with no success.
I even tried disabling HTT and installing on another IDE disk with a
UP kernel rather than a SMP one (I'm trying to eliminate variables)
The odd thing is that everything runs fine during the installation
booting from a CD.

Does anyone have an Asus NCCH-DL motherboard successful booting from
an IDE disk?

--
Joao Barros