panic: integer divide fault on 6.1

Joao Barros joao.barros at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 04:56:45 PDT 2006

Hi,

I just installed 6.1 on my new (with old parts) machine and when
booting for the first time after installation I got this panic:

ad0: 19130MB <SAMSUNG SV2001H QN200-03> at ata0-master UDMA100

Fatal trap 18: integer divide fault while in kernel mode
cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
instruction pointer	= 0x20:0xc0853017
stack pointer		= 0x28:0xc0c20b28
frame pointer		= 0x28:0xc0c20bb0
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process		= 0 (swapper)
trap number		= 18
panic: integer divide fault
cpuid = 0
Uptime: 1s
Cannot dump. No dump device defined

The system is a single Xeon with HTT enabled and the HDD used is
somewhat old. I can try  installing on another one. The swapper
process somehow points me to the HDD.
Of course any clues are most welcome.

--
Joao Barros