Kernel not installed from CD

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sun Oct 22 12:23:08 UTC 2006

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006, Erwin Lansing wrote:

> I haven't seen a report on this before, although I heard other people being
> hit by the same problem before. Doing a fresh install from a BETA2 cd
> forgets to install the kernel and modules to disk. Everything else is
> installed just fine, so a simple copy of /dist/kernel/ to the installed disk
> easily fixes the problem. A wild guess would be that this has something to
> do with the SMP detection, although the first machine was SMP and the second
> UP. If this already is reported and fixed, I'll just shut up and get a newer
> BETA :-)

As a "me too" -- I've seen this happen a few times with previous FreeBSD
releases, and I've not managed to trigger it reproduceably.  Rather
frustrating, actually -- there are just one or two boxes I installed where the
first time through the installer, no kernel was installed, but when I re-did
the install, it was.  I tried to figure out what I had done differently, and
wasn't able to track it down.  This is something we need to look into --
perhaps something about how we decide what kernel to install, etc?

It would be interesting to think about having sysintall produce an install log
and install that in /var/db/install on the installed box, so that a log of
what had happened during install (i.e., the debug output) was available after
the install.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge