kernel panic mounting /tmp - 6.2-PRERELEASE

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Tue Oct 17 22:45:09 UTC 2006

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:33:50 -0500
Brooks Davis <brooks at one-eyed-alien.net> wrote:

> > Gotcha - i thought as much... i hoped a dump -0 would save enough info
> > though. I just needed to have /tmp back in place asap....
> >
> > i'll keep the files around for a week or so in case something comes up.
>
> Good thought, but anything short of "dd if=/dev/<tmpdevices>
> of=/path/to/some/location" probably won't preserve the corrupt bits.
> Think of dump as a version of tar that also knows how to read file
> systems directly.  It only preserves files and their contents not the
> actual file system bits on the disk

Yes, I realise that now, it was late and I wasn't thinking too straight
obviously.

BTW, the mount in 6.1-RELEASE CD had no issue at all mounting the filesystem..
dump I used was 6.1-RELEASE too . would have  been user land app related, or
actual UFS kernel code that made the difference?
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

Do not take away the camels hump, you may be stopping him from being a camel.

Warned.