kernel panic mounting /tmp - 6.2-PRERELEASE

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Tue Oct 17 22:33:58 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 07:11:55AM +1000, Norberto Meijome wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:59:46 -0500
> Brooks Davis <brooks at one-eyed-alien.net> wrote:
>
> > > Is there a bigger issue here? anything I can do to help diagnose / debug
> > > this?
> >
> > Possibly and no.  By recreating the file system you've destroyed
> > the information needed to isolate the cause.  It's known that an
> > appropriately corrupt file system can do this, but the causes (there are
> > probably several) are not yet known.  There is some speculation that the
> > only solution is to add checksums to all key data sections.
> >
> > -- Brooks
>
> Gotcha - i thought as much... i hoped a dump -0 would save enough info though.
> I just needed to have /tmp back in place asap....
>
> i'll keep the files around for a week or so in case something comes up.

Good thought, but anything short of "dd if=/dev/<tmpdevices>
of=/path/to/some/location" probably won't preserve the corrupt bits.
Think of dump as a version of tar that also knows how to read file
systems directly.  It only preserves files and their contents not the
actual file system bits on the disk

-- Brooks