Watchdog Timeout - bge devices

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Wed Oct 4 05:38:36 UTC 2006

David G Lawrence wrote:
>> Very interesting data point.  I wonder if this accounts for some of the
>> inconsistency in the reporting from others.  In any case, SCHED_ULE is
>> still considered to be highly experimental.  Hopefully it will get some
>> more attention in the near future to bring it closer to production
>> quality.
>
>    I'm not using SCHED_ULE on any of the machines that I'm seeing the
> timeout problem with em and fxp devices. I suspect the problem has to do
> with interrupt thread scheduling; maybe SCHED_ULE just somehow makes the
> problem worse?
>
> -DG

Well, the two things that will block the scheduler are critical sections
and spinlocks.  The system will complain about spinlocks that are held
too long, but you might need WITNESS and/or INVARIANTS enabled for it.
Critical section debugging is almost non-existant; the only way to do it
is to turn on KTR and then feed the output to schedgraph.py.  This only
works reliably for UP, though.

Scott