Large msdosfs disk will not mount on RELENG_6

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Nov 28 09:56:19 PST 2006

Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > [...]
 > Well, the mentioned problems (running out of kernel memory
 > and NFS export difficulties) can occur with msdosfs file
 > systems of any size, including ones that are smaller than
 > 128 GB.  It would be really annoying to not be able to
 > mount a USB stick with a lot of files on a machine with
 > small RAM (it could panic the machine without warning).
 > [...]

I'm afraid that part of my mail was wrong.  If the file
system is smaller than 128 GB, the mapping table is not
used, even if MSDOSFS_LARGE is enabled in the kernel.

Best regards
   Oliver

"What is this talk of 'release'?  We do not make software 'releases'.
Our software 'escapes', leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality
assurance people in its wake."