Large msdosfs disk will not mount on RELENG_6

Rink Springer rink at FreeBSD.org
Sun Nov 26 22:38:12 PST 2006

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 07:34:09AM +0100, Rink Springer wrote:
> Looking at /sys/fs/msdosfs/msdosfs_vfsops.c seems to hint the existance
> of options MSDOSFS_LARGE; this avoids the error message and will let you
> mount the disk.

Oh, and before I forget: this option is defined in /sys/conf/NOTES as
well (a pure #ifdef in source code is not enough, of course :-)

---
# Experimental support for large MS-DOS filesystems.
#
# WARNING: This uses at least 32 bytes of kernel memory (which is not
# reclaimed until the FS is unmounted) for each file on disk to map
# between the 32-bit inode numbers used by VFS and the 64-bit
# pseudo-inode
# numbers used internally by msdosfs. This is only safe to use in
# certain
# controlled situations (e.g. read-only FS with less than 1 million
# files).
# Since the mappings do not persist across unmounts (or reboots), these
# filesystems are not suitable for exporting through NFS, or any other
# application that requires fixed inode numbers.
options         MSDOSFS_LARGE
---

Regards,

--
Rink P.W. Springer                                - http://rink.nu
"It's you isn't it? THE BASTARD OPERATOR FROM HELL!"