Status of 3945ABG and others

Christian Lopez de Castilla Wagner lopisaur at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 22:40:56 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 19:55 +0100, Max Laier wrote:
> On Sunday 19 November 2006 19:26, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> > On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 22:26:08 +0100
> >
> > Christian Lopez de Castilla Wagner <lopisaur at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Sound is ALC861,
> >
> > Probably HDA, you should test the snd_hdac driver. Look on -multimedia
> > mailinglist for clues.
> >
> > > wireless 3945ABG.
> >
> > As far as I know (and I'm interested, because I have a laptop with
> > this device myself), nothing has happened on this front. It seems that
> > Intel, for reasons of their own, isn't able to (or doesn't want to)
> > release necessary docs to make a good driver.
> > OpenBSD (4.0) have support for this via the wpi driver, but it doesn't
> > support WPA yet, only WEP.
>
> There is an experimental FreeBSD version of this driver available via:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~flz/local/wpi/ ... there are a couple of
> people interested in getting this working, see Threads on freebsd-net@
> from October and November.
>
> > Your best bet would be to
> > a) exchange the network card, if possible. Some laptop network cards
> > are miniPCI and can be exchanged, but I do not know if this is the case
> > for the 3945ABG.
> > b) use an external usb network "dongle". Look at the ural driver, you
> > can find some of the supported devices quite cheap. I dont know how
> > good they are, I have just tested one, and have some issues with it
> > (stability) but haven't been able to rule out if it is something with
> > my setup yet.

Hmm, guess I'll have to get back used to running around with patch
cables... at least for a while.

On a side note, thanks to all you guys who responded! I actually tried
getting some ideas for some other issues in  a Linux-vendor's forum
(machine would fsck and hang if booted without the radio on, weird) and
all I got were flames, so I can proudly say that we have a great
community!
Keep up the good work!
--
Christian Lopez de Castilla Wagner