Areca Weirdness

Clayton Milos clay at milos.co.za
Fri Nov 17 03:10:39 PST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lawrence Farr" <freebsd-smp at epcdirect.co.uk>
To: <freebsd-stable at freebsd.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2006 4:51 PM
Subject: RE: Areca Weirdness

> Re-posting to -STABLE as it also does it on i386.
>
> I reinstalled i386 stable as of yesterday, and newfs'd all the partitions
> "just in case". I got it to crash while doing a mkdir on the areca
> partition, so set up crash dumps on the boot drive (it boots off a single
> ATA disk, the Areca is additional storage) and it died again running
> the periodic scripts last night. The info file from the dump shows:
>
> Dump header from device /dev/ad0s1b
>  Architecture: i386
>  Architecture Version: 2
>  Dump Length: 2145452032B (2046 MB)
>  Blocksize: 512
>  Dumptime: Thu Nov 16 03:01:09 2006
>  Hostname: nas-2.shorewood-epc.co.uk
>  Magic: FreeBSD Kernel Dump
>  Version String: FreeBSD 6.1-20061115 #0: Wed Nov 15 04:18:11 UTC 2006
>    root at monitor.shorewood-epc.co.uk:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP
>  Panic String: ufs_dirbad: bad dir
>  Dump Parity: 632980830
>  Bounds: 0
>  Dump Status: good
>
> Am I expecting too much with partitions over 2Tb? I've never gone over
> 2Tb before, so havent come across any issues like this.

I have the Areca 8 port PCI-X card. 2 arrays of 1.25T each and no issues
yet. I've been using it on 5.x for a year and now on 6.x it's perfect too.
Have you updated the card to the latest firmware ?

I've just done a test copy from the one volume to the other of 10 gigs. It
ran at over 80M/s and tok under 2 minutes with no errors.

Did you follow the instructions provided with the Areca card for creating
volumes over 2TB ? There are some things you have to do so that the OS works
correctly with it.

-Clay