init can't get /dev/console for controlling terminal: operation not permitted

Jacques Brouwers jbrouwers at tritronics.com
Tue Nov 14 09:34:35 PST 2006

Hi All,

After upgrading (make buildworld ...) I do not receive the logon prompt
anymore.  I get the following message repeated on the screen numerous
times.

"init: can't get /dev/console for controlling terminal: operation not
permitted"

Then every 10 minutes I get

"last message repeated 20 times"

The ssh login method is still operational so I am not totally locked out
of the system.

crw-------  1 root     wheel       0,  10 Nov 14 10:28 console

FreeBSD smtp.tritronics.com 6.1-SECURITY FreeBSD 6.1-SECURITY #0: Mon
Aug 28 05:21:08 UTC 2006
root at builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

FreeBSD minimal install running postfix in a production environment.

Thanks for any help,

Jacques