Cruel and unusual problems with Proliant ML350

Clayton Milos clay at milos.co.za
Mon Nov 13 20:40:55 UTC 2006

Same for me Greg.

Everything I use runs on serial console including my *BSD servers, SUN,
DSLAMs etc.
I would say any server worth it's weight has serial redirection in it's
BIOS.
Most of the servers I admin are international and I use the sesrial console
to fix problems if and when they arise.
The majority are SUN which supports lights out management even.
Then again when you're paying for SUN and running Oracle in clussters you
kind of expect these kind of features.

Saying that my 2 servers at home are Tyan motherboards with SMP. Both of
them support serial redirection in in the BIOS and they are not particularly
fancy motherboards.

I use mainly WTI serial console management boxes. They have a few models
which fit every need I've ever had.

VPN into customer private LAN then telnetting into the console server sure
as hell beats flying 4000 miles to sort something out.
It's cheaper and faster. And besides that I have console access to the
servers wherever I happen to be that and an internet connection.