Compiler Options

Niclas Zeising lothrandil at n00b.apagnu.se
Fri Nov 10 22:17:14 UTC 2006

Jason C. Wells wrote:
> I have set CPUTYPE=p3 in make.conf.  When I compile my kernel I see
> -march=pentium3 as I expect.  I also see -mno-mmx and -mno-sse are set
> which I do not expect given that -march=pentium3 is used.  I presume
> that I want MMX and SSE since my processor supports it.  What options do
> I set and where do I set them to get a kernel properly tuned for pentium3?
>
> Thanks,
> Jason C. Wells

If i recall correctly, instructions taking advantage of sse, mmx etc.
are purposefully disabled in the kernel via the mentioned options. I can
not at the moment recall why though.
Ordinary userland applications and ports are usually compiled to take
advantage of those instructions if the CPU supports them.

Regards!
//Niclas