em driver testing

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Wed Nov 8 17:25:23 UTC 2006

Steven Hartland wrote:
> Scott Long wrote:
>
>> I don't doubt that there are users with other problems.  We spent some
>> time collecting as much user data as we could in order to find
>> patterns and weed out the uncommon cases.  But this timer/watchdog
>> thing looks to be a strong candidate for being the root cause of many
>> of the problems. We'll continue to investigate these problems and
>> address other drivers.
>

> Out of interest are there any priorities for drivers that will get
> fixed before 6.2 release? Obviously em will but what others: bge, xl?
>       Steve

My personally opinion is that the changes needed are too risky to rush
into 6.2 for all of the different drivers.  For the vast majority of
people, what is in 6.2 works quite well, and there is no need to
introduce new bugs.  We are pushing forward with if_em because the
problems there are pretty widespread, and Intel is providing direct
engineering and QA input.  Thus, risk is reduced.

Scott