em driver testing

Jack Vogel jfvogel at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 21:05:01 UTC 2006

On 11/7/06, Clayton Milos <clay at milos.co.za> wrote:
> Hi Jack
>

> I patched the driver and re-compiled the kernel and userland.
>
> All appears well with the em driver now. No more errors on it.
> I am getting watchdog timeouts on the xl driver now though. It was
> happenning before at the same time as the em ones. Now I've passed a lot of
> traffic on the em interface but the xl interface gets watchdog errors. The
> em interface still works fine but the xl one is no usable after this.

I'm not sure what it is, but the fact that a variety of nic drivers
are having this
same problem indicates that something changed in the if_timer and its
caller, someone knowing that subsystem would be better qualified to
say what.

The other drivers should do the same thing that em did, and stop using
the net layer timer :)

Jack