Still have BCE driver issues (dell pe 1950) and NFS

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Tue Nov 7 16:05:55 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 07 November 2006 03:30, Fredrik Widlund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Will a fix/this fix be part of the 6.2 Release? We will be relying
> heavily on fbsd6.2 and pe1950 and are worried about the BCE
> stability?
>
> Kind regards,
> Fredrik Widlund
>
> Scott Long wrote:
> > Olivier Mueller wrote:

> >> Oh, this way it looks much better, thanks.  Directory listing
> >> was fine, and copying files during 2-3 minutes over NFS worked
> >> as well. More tests will follow tomorrow.
> >>
> >> Next step? :-)  Should I put that command somewhere in my init
> >> scripts, or even directly in rc.conf, or wait for a new
> >> if_bce0.c version?  I am available for any other PE1950-related
> >> tests if this may help.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Olivier
> >
> > Change /sys/dev/bce/if_bcereg.h so that BCE_IF_HWASSIST is
> > defined to 0. Then recompile.
> >
> > Scott

I know I've brought this up before, but I have a PE1950 with a pair of
bce nics that get pounded on 24/7.  I've been using 6.1-R with the
0.9.6 version of the bce driver for a couple of months now.  The
driver is available here:  http://yogurt.org/FreeBSD/if_bce.c  I've
emailed the author of the driver and I've at least mentioned it to
Scott once but I really can't understand why we don't just import
this driver into the tree.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel