netstat -ni - A lot of collisions...

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Nov 6 11:30:53 UTC 2006

Anton - Valqk <valqk at lozenetz.org> wrote:
 > the card is connected to a switch that is manageble and the port is set
 > to 10Mbit Full duplex on purpose.
 >
 > I'm not setting the port speed manual - is that a problem when the port
 > is not 100mbit/fd?

If you select the port parameters manually (i.e. disable
autoselect), then you must do that on _both_ sides.
Auto-negotiation only works correctly if both sides are
using it.

 > This is the ifconfig output:
 >
 > fxp0: flags=18843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,POLLING> mtu 1500
 >         options=48<VLAN_MTU,POLLING>
 >         inet 112.15.128.88 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 112.15.128.255
 >         inet6 fe80::208:c7ff:fe5b:54f2%fxp0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
 >         ether 00:08:c7:5b:54:a5
 >         media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT/UTP)
 >         status: active

That means autoselect is enabled, so you have to enable it
on your switch, too.  Otherwise disable it on the computer
and select the port parameters (speed and duplex mode)
manually there, too.

By the way, the above output indicates that your NIC's
auto-negotiation has selected half-duplex.  You said that
your switch is set to full-duplex.  So there is a mismatch
which explains why you are getting collisions.

Fix your port settings, then the collisions will go away.

Best regards
   Oliver

"What is this talk of 'release'?  We do not make software 'releases'.
Our software 'escapes', leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality
assurance people in its wake."