panic: kmem_map too small

Stefan Bethke stb at lassitu.de
Fri Nov 3 23:36:50 UTC 2006

Am 26.10.2006 um 15:47 schrieb Stefan Bethke:

> Am 26.10.2006 um 15:37 schrieb Robert Watson:
>
>> On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Stefan Bethke wrote:
>>
>>>           acpica         3024          159K     20026966
>>> db> show uma
>>>             Zone       Allocs        Frees         Used    Cache
>>>               64      9990754      9986054         4700  9980755
>>
>> Looks like acpica has gone crazy performing allocation/freeing at
>> a very high rate, and that for some reason, UMA is failing to
>> properly reuse/release memory.  So there are two bugs/problems
>> here: whatever is causing ACPI to behave this way, and then the
>> fact that UMA is failing to deal properly with its misbehavior.
>
> We had the machines running with ACPI disabled for a week or so,
> and we were still getting these panics, but I'll disable it again
> in the BIOS to make sure.
>
>> Alternatively, that we have a bug in the way statistics are
>> handled.  If you can generate a coredump, it would be quite useful
>> to be able to run umstat (src/tools/tools/umastat in HEAD) on it.
>> The tool probably needs a bit of tweaking to run on the core dump
>> -- in particular, the first and second arguments of kvm_open()
>> need to be the name of the kernel and dumpfile, rather than NULL.
>> This would help confirm what actual state UMA is in.
>
> So far, the machines always just hang instead of dumping core; I'll
> see if I can get them to write a dump.

On two of the three boxes, the panics have not happened for a week.

On the one I disabled ACPI on, no panics were seen for a week as
well, so I enabled it again.  Within an hour, the panic occurred.
call doadump just hangs, so I won't be able to run umastat.  I'll try
to kick the box via the IPMI card and wait for the next panic.

Fri Nov  3 23:22:58 CET 2006

FreeBSD/i386 (discovery.tallence.de) (ttyd0)

login:         -0255: *** Error: UtCallocate: Could not allocate size 30
         -0255: *** Error: UtCallocate: Could not allocate size 30
         -0255: *** Error: UtCallocate: Could not allocate size 30
     ACPI-1304: *** Error: Method execution failed [\SWFS] (Node
0xc63ee220), AE_NO_MEMORY
     ACPI-1304: *** Error: Method execution failed [\RBYT] (Node
0xc63ee1a0), AE_NO_MEMORY
     ACPI-1304: *** Error: Method execution failed [\RTMP] (Node
0xc63ee380), AE_NO_MEMORY
     ACPI-1304: *** Error: Method execution failed [\_TZ_.THRM._TMP]
(Node 0xc63ede00), AE_NO_MEMORY
panic: kmem_malloc(4096): kmem_map too small: 699756544 total allocated
KDB: enter: panic
[thread pid 1119 tid 100074 ]
Stopped at      kdb_enter+0x30: leave
db> show uma
               Zone       Allocs        Frees         Used    Cache
             pfosfp          188            0          188      193
           pfospfen          345            0          345       51
          pfiaddrpl            0            0            0        0
       pfstatescrub            0            0            0        0
           pffrcent            0            0            0        0
          pffrcache            0            0            0        0
             pffrag            0            0            0        0
            pffrent            0            0            0        0
         pfrkentry2            0            0            0        0
          pfrkentry            0            0            0        0
          pfrktable            0            0            0        0
       pfpooladdrpl            0            0            0        0
           pfaltqpl            0            0            0        0
          pfstatepl          873          844           29       76
           pfrulepl           62            0           62       10
          pfsrctrpl            1            0            1       77
        FFS2 dinode         2117          193         1924       11
        FFS1 dinode            0            0            0        0
          FFS inode         2117          193         1924       48
        Mountpoints           19            0           19        5
           SWAPMETA            0            0            0        0
            rtentry           10            0           10       48
              unpcb          664          613           51       33
              ripcb            0            0            0        0
           sackhole            0            0            0        0
           tcpreass            9            9            0      169
          hostcache           39            0           39       61
           syncache          150          150            0       78
              tcptw           55           55            0      156
              tcpcb          229          198           31       25
              inpcb          229          198           31       35
              udpcb          979          959           20       24
                ipq            0            0            0        0
             socket         1873         1771          102        8
              KNOTE         1242         1242            0      112
               PIPE         1033         1022           11       16
            NFSNODE            0            0            0        0
           NFSMOUNT            0            0            0        0
            DIRHASH           91            0           91        5
              NAMEI        42625        42625            0       20
        L VFS Cache            0            0            0        0
        S VFS Cache         6029         4101         1928       32
          VNODEPOLL            0            0            0        0
              VNODE         2211          199         2012        4
      ata_composite            0            0            0        0
        ata_request        12690        12690            0      380
              g_bio        47901        47901            0     1247
       ACL UMA zone            0            0            0        0
     mbuf_jumbo_16k            0            0            0        0
      mbuf_jumbo_9k            0            0            0        0
mbuf_jumbo_pagesize            0            0            0        0
       mbuf_cluster          128            0          128        6
               mbuf         8800         8772           28      114
        mbuf_packet        47880        47812           68       60
            VMSPACE         2384         2317           67       37
             UPCALL            6            0            6      150
             KSEGRP          129            0          129       71
             THREAD          216           81          135       15
               PROC         2424         2317          107       19
              Files        17415        17156          259       59
               4096         5808         5666          142       25
               2048          554          185          369        5
               1024         2266         2218           48      144
                512         3396         3339           57       15
                256         6678         6240          438       42
                128        24937        22580         2357       73
                 64      9966167      9961335         4832  9947229
                 32         5515         2447         3068       96
                 16     10000705      9997868         2837      208
            mt_zone          163            0          163       73
          DP fakepg            0            0            0        0
           PV ENTRY      1242630      1213645        28985     1320
          MAP ENTRY        88676        86884         1792        0
         KMAP ENTRY       171204       171178           26      142
                MAP            7            0            7       33
          VM OBJECT        45712        43104         2608      321
         128 Bucket           58            2           56        0
          64 Bucket           49            1           48        8
          32 Bucket           31            0           31       25
          16 Bucket           30            0           30       20
           UMA Hash            6            1            5       25
      UMA RCntSlabs           67            0           67        7
          UMA Slabs          669          193          476       55
          UMA Zones           83            0           83        7
           UMA Kegs           83            0           83       13
db> show malloc
               Type        InUse        MemUse     Requests
       NULLFS mount            8            1K            8
        NULLFS hash            1            1K            1
        NULLFS node            8            1K            8
              pflog            1            1K            1
              pf_if           26            6K           26
         MADT Table            0            0K            0
            acpipwr            0            0K            0
          acpi_perf            0            0K            0
            acpidev           93            3K           93
            acpisem           17            2K           17
          acpicmbat            0            0K            0
           PCI Link           64            6K           64
           acpitask            0            0K            2
             acpica         3024          159K     19943808
             KTRACE          100           13K          100
             prison            4            8K            4
               $PIR            0            0K            0
             DEVFS3          562           71K          563
           nexusdev            3            1K            3
           MP Table            0            0K            0
            memdesc            1            4K            1
          legacydrv            0            0K            0
            ithread           66            6K           66
           I/O APIC            1            1K            1
             zombie            0            0K         2317
          proc-args           52            4K         5377
             kqueue            0            0K         1234
               kenv          113            8K          114
           atkbddev            2            1K            2
              sigio            1            1K            1
file desc to leader            0            0K            0
          VM pgdata            2           65K            2
          file desc          108           27K         2425
             DEVFS2          100            4K          400
              USBHC            0            0K            0
               cdev           20            3K           20
             USBdev            3            1K            9
            UMAHash            1            1K            2
          UFS mount           18           82K           18
          UFS quota            0            0K            0
        UFS dirhash           87           16K           87
           savedino            0            0K            0
          newdirblk            0            0K            0
             dirrem            0            0K            0
              mkdir            0            0K            0
             diradd            0            0K            0
           freefile            0            0K            0
           freeblks            0            0K            0
           freefrag            0            0K            0
         allocindir            0            0K            0
           indirdep            0            0K            0
        allocdirect            0            0K            0
          bmsafemap            0            0K            0
             newblk            1            1K            1
           inodedep            1          256K            1
            pagedep            1           64K            1
            rpcclnt            0            0K            0
           p1003.1b            1            1K            1
                agp            0            0K            0
         NFS daemon            5           10K            5
      NFSV3 srvdesc            0            0K            0
        NFS srvsock            1            1K            1
            nlminfo            0            0K            0
           NFS lock            0            0K            0
       NFS DirectIO            0            0K            0
           NFS hash            0            0K            0
       NFSV3 diroff            0            0K            0
        NFSV3 bigfh            0            0K            0
            NFS req            0            0K            0
        NFS srvsock            0            0K            0
              idmap            0            0K            0
           NFS4 dev            0            0K            0
           syncache            1            8K            1
                USB           31            3K           31
          hostcache            1           24K            1
        ip_moptions            0            0K            0
        Export Host            0            0K            0
           in_multi            3            1K            3
               igmp            0            0K            0
           routetbl           20            2K           93
            entropy         1024           64K         1024
          ad_driver            3            1K            3
        ata_generic            4            4K            4
               vlan            2            1K            2
                tun            0            0K            0
                 lo            1            1K            1
             arpcom            3            1K            3
              clone            3           12K            3
        ether_multi           12            1K           14
             ifaddr           30            7K           30
              ifnet            6            6K            6
                BPF            9           65K           10
         acd_driver            1            2K            1
        Export Host            0            0K            0
        vnodemarker            0            0K         2420
              mount          223            6K          314
             vnodes            1            1K            1
           VFS hash            1          256K            1
        Export Host            0            0K            0
cluster_save buffer            0            0K            6
           vfscache            1          512K            1
         BIO buffer          224          448K          235
             isadev           19            2K           19
                pcb           21            5K          703
             soname           13            1K         3568
           mbuf_tag            0            0K            2
           mbextcnt            0            0K            0
               accf            0            0K            0
               ptys            0            0K            0
               ttys         1177          165K         2648
                shm            1           12K            1
                sem            4            7K            4
                msg            4           25K            4
                iov            0            0K          828
             select            0            0K            0
           ioctlops            0            0K         2054
             Unitno            6            1K          178
         turnstiles          151           10K          151
          taskqueue            9            1K            9
              stack            0            0K            0
         MD sectors            0            0K            0
            MD disk            0            0K            0
       sleep queues          151            5K          151
               sbuf            0            0K          906
               rman          176           11K          544
                LED            0            0K            0
             kbdmux            6            9K            6
            ata_pci            0            0K            0
               kobj          115          230K          134
       eventhandler           55            4K           55
            devstat           14           29K           14
        mirror_data            3            1K          625
             bus-sc           82           32K         1841
                bus          799           38K         4368
               SWAP            2          549K            2
               umtx          150           10K          150
          sysctltmp            0            0K          333
          sysctloid         3214           97K         3214
             sysctl            0            0K          634
            uidinfo            6            2K          141
             plimit           25            7K         1334
            ata_dma            6            1K            6
               cred           50            7K        12035
            subproc          235          464K         2552
               proc            2            8K            2
            session           46            6K          223
               pgrp           46            3K          223
               GEOM          156           17K          832
           mtx_pool            1            8K            1
             module          183           12K          183
        pfs_vncache            0            0K            0
               free            0            0K            0
          pfs_nodes            0            0K            0
             ip6ndp            0            0K            0
             ip6opt            0            0K            0
               temp           13          211K         6822
             devbuf         1562         3592K         1564
              cache            0            0K            0
              lockf           21            2K         6581
              DEVFS           62            2K           63
             linker           50          243K          105
         DEVFS_RULE            0            0K            0
             DEVFS1          100           25K          102
db> call doadump

--
Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de>   Fon +49 170 346 0140